Thursday, July 7, 2011

Transformers 3's "assembly line"

On the 4th of July, I saw Transformers 3 with some friends.

That... movie... was... long!

As always, the 3D art blew my mind grapes. My friends and I are 3D artists and therefore, we treat watching movies like this as research and inspiration (although I don't imagine myself making anything as detailed as the stuff from that movie).

When the credits started rolling (finally), we stayed to witness the hundreds of names that were behind the production. It reminded me that for 3D artists, working in the film industry is like working in an assembly line. Your one job for the whole film could be (technical terms in parenthesis):

  • Making Optimus Prime's hand (modeling)...
  • OR putting the colors on his hand (texturing)...
  • OR making his hand look metallic (surface shading)...
  • OR making his hand work (rigging)...
  • OR moving his hand (animating).

lol, you may get to work on more than just "a hand", but this is not entirely off. The video game industry can be a bit "assembly-like" too but definitely less so than motion pictures.

After the movie, I went and ate this...


...and then felt like sleeping after.

No comments:

Post a Comment