Friday, October 14, 2011

Why do people always empty their Recycle Bins? (rant)


I often see people do this move on their computers:
  1. Delete file(s).
  2. Immediately empty Recycle Bin or Trash.
They empty their Recycle Bin every time they delete something. My question is this...

Why?

Are they low on disk space? Are their deleted files private? Does it make their computer go faster?

I think the reason why most people do it is because it just makes their computer "feel" cleaner. They do it purely for psychological reasons.

For the 15+ years I've had Windows, I've emptied my recycle bin this many times...

Zero.

It's great. I don't have to take that extra step every time after deleting files. I am able to undelete files when the occasion arises. It doesn't make me run out of disk space (the Recycle Bin's size is capped by default). And my computer runs the same, filled Recycle Bin or not.

Ultimately, it's your computer and your time, and you can do whatever you want with both. But if you're a constant Recycle Bin emptier, try leaving it filled for a week and see if it makes a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment