Wednesday, November 16, 2011

All Web Browsers Look Like Google Chrome Now

Google Chrome has always looked like this:

Chrome

Notice the lack of title, menu, and status bars. Stop\refresh is consolidated into one button. And the top area is dedicated to tabs.

In turn, other browsers have made similar changes:

Firefox

Internet Explorer

Opera

And yes... I also used this as an excuse to show off my website in different browsers. (^_^)


My Browser Usage History

Like everyone who's had Windows, I started out with Internet Explorer (I also used Netscape back in the days too). However, Internet Explorer had a lot of problems, and Firefox had a lot of cool features so I switched to that. After awhile, I realized Firefox was slow and so I switched to Chrome.

As of 2011, Internet Explorer has gotten a lot better and Firefox probably still has the most add-ons, but I still mostly use Chrome.


So Why Do I Use Chrome?
  1. Cleaner interface.
  2. Faster running program.
  3. Faster surfing.
  4. The Omnibox.
  5. More stable and less buggy.
  6. Has most of Firefox's extensions.
  7. Apps.
  8. Translate page pop-up bar.
  9. Built-in functions like Flash and Acrobat.
  10. Download status bar.

Google Chrome's Omnibox


This is a very cool feature of the browser. All searches are done from the address bar, and it automatically adds search engines for sites you visit frequently (for example, Wikipedia, Amazon, Craigslist, eBay). And there is no drop-down menu selection step.

So if I wanted to search "tea" on Wikipedia, I would:

1. Type "w" (for Wikipedia) and press tab to select the Wikipedia search engine.
2. Type "tea" and press enter.

Immediately, I am sent away to Wikipedia's page for tea!


Browser Usage Share Trends

I will end this post with a boring looking chart. lol.

    1 comment:

    1. I absolutely hate version 4+ of Firefox, it's not just the interface, but as you said regarding speed. FF 4+ also crashes my computer so much (as in unexpected rebooting) that if I do bother upgrading it'll have to be some other browser... why does 3.6 work fine and not 4+? It was a long step backwards. Snappiness is a concept program developers of ALL LEVELS don't seem to understand anymore... instead of worrying about how efficiently their programs are made, they just throw stuff in there and let their work get more and more massive data-wise filling it with "fluff features"... resulting in a program that runs sluggishly even on top-end systems. Paint programs are a perfect example of this, which is why I STILL use Paint Shop 6.0, made around 1999, to do stuff today in 2011. Open up Corel Photoshop or any file in that program, it takes at minimum 30 seconds, compared to Paint Shop (with many of the same tools) that literally work faster than I ever could possibly command it. I just like for my programs to work in *real time*... is it really that much to ask in this day and age? Computers are so insanely fast now (well, comparatively speaking), but that doesn't mean we should harbor lazy coders who don't want to do efficiency passes on their work.

      /rant off

      ReplyDelete