Monday, January 2, 2012

Recommended Show : "Misfits"



The plot in one sentence:
Delinquents with newly acquired super powers try to cover up a dark secret.


Why you should watch it:
- Mix of survival and serial story.
- Rude and funny humor.
- Frequent use of British slang.


How I discovered the series:
TONS of ads on Hulu during the summer of 2011. The commercial wasn't too appealing, but Hulu users gave the show 4.5 stars so I gave it a shot.


Possible themes:
- Having great power can lead to making great mistakes.
- You can always turn your life around.


Each character's crime that got them sentenced and superpower:
Alisha - drunk driving \ can make anyone sexually attracted to her
Curtis - drug dealing \ can turn back time
Kelly - fought with girl \ can hear people's thoughts
Nathan - stole pick 'n' mix \ unknown if he has a power
Simon - set house on fire \ can become invisible


(from left to right: Curtis, Alisha, Nathan, Kelly, Simon)



Favorite character:
I was originally going to say Nathan since he's the funniest, but I have to go with Simon. He has this misunderstood creepiness to him which makes his character fascinating. Later when he gains more confidence, he becomes a really cool character.


Girl who caught my eye:
Two girls. The first was Sally. She's introduced in the second episode I think. I really like the story line between her and Simon. She's like a teacher you have as a kid that you like but you're not supposed to like. lol.

Later in the series, Nikki catches my eye. She's introduced in a short scene after which, I was thinking, "Who's this girl? I hope she's in the series!" I can't say any more about her without spoiling the story.

btw... don't Google image search "Misfits" and these characters names; it will spoil the story.


What I didn't like about the series:
- The volume levels. The music is so freaking loud while the dialogue is so quiet.
- Too much shagging. The characters are always going for it, and it starts to feel silly and overdone.


Funny note:
This being a UK show, apparently some people on the net couldn't understand their English and watch with subtitles. lol. I was surprised. Sometimes the accent can be hard, but I never needed subtitles.


Final words:
The commercials gave me the completely wrong impression for the show, and it turned out nothing like I expected. Aside from the rude humor (which is hilarious), the characters have heart and there are good serial elements that keep you wanting to watch more. Additionally, the series is still going with a 4th season in the works.

Check out the first episode on Hulu!

No comments:

Post a Comment