Sunday, March 25, 2012

New YouTube Channel Design = Don't Like


A while ago, YouTube rolled out new channel designs. I tried it out. I didn't like it. And I quickly switched back to the classic one. Now, YouTube is forcing everyone to use the new channel designs. All I can say is "ugh!"

What don't I like about? Hmm, well, let's start with the positive first.


What I like about the new design:
  • It's cleaner, more "modern" looking, and less cluttered.
Okay, that's it. lol.


What I don't like about the new design:
  • Everyone's channel looks freaking the same now. No more color customization.
  • Users are taken away from your channel when they click on a video.
  • Your channel description is half-hidden.
  • Your profile info is almost entirely hidden.
  • Channel comments are hidden under a tab in another tab.
  • Your list of subscribers are hidden.
  • Your list of subscriptions are non-existent.
  • Customizing the layout is very limited.
  • It's harder to navigate other people's channels too.
  • It just plain sucks!

In Summary

Classic YouTube Channels:
Everything neatly all in one page. Highly customizable. Users stay on your channel.



New YouTube Channels:
Sucks fat ass.

1 comment:

  1. 100% agreed. I really hate so much that YouTube arbitrarily changes how people's channels and pages look. That, and they change the developer's UI so often that i've stopped caring about how my channel/features are set up because I know that usually within 3-5 months a chunk of that work will be chucked out the window. They need to stop screwing with stuff and make decisions that involve actual, coherent thinking about how they want their pages to operate.

    Compatibility and ease of use from the VIEWER's end are the only reasons I keep my content on YouTube... as soon as another video publication service starts offering that, all my future videos are leaving YouTube.

    ReplyDelete